“Fun, energetic, encouragement, can-do attitude, confidence built, learning became fun!”
“I love listening to her read to her little sister/cousins – it makes me proud and happy of and for her”
Resources for Family Literacy
Family literacy happens whenever children and their caregivers read together – aloud or side-by-side. Parents are their children’s first and best teachers. It doesn’t matter what you read together as long as you read and enjoy the special time with each other.
• ABC Life Literacy Canada’s Family Literacy Day page – every year on January 27, families and communities across Canada celebrate this special day at literacy-themed events coordinated by literacy organizations, schools, public libraries and families
• Family Literacy Database – the National Adult Literacy Database’s documentation of family literacy projects
• Greater Victoria Public Library – Summer Reading Club
• Vancouver Island Regional Library, Summer Reading Club
• Decoda Literacy Solutions is BC’s literacy organization.