“The kids were proud to share with me that they were reading.”
The work of READ would not happen without funding and grant support from individuals, institutions and community-minded businesses.
Recognition that literacy and learning are key components for healthy, sustainable communities has meant that READ has been able to extend services to reach more families, children, youth and adults close to where they live and work.
From July 1, 2014 forward, READ programs have received support from the following institutions and organizations. Individual donors are recognized in the READ Annual Report.
We acknowledge the financial assistance
of the Province of British Columbia
READ works with partners in BC’s Capital Region to deliver accessible, innovative remedial learning programs and classes to people of all ages.
READ‘s partnership work takes many forms. Since 2009 partnerships have involved co-designing programs to address community-identified literacy and learning needs; delivering outreach remedial programs to struggling youth and children, and designing workplace learning programs for local businesses.
READ also works at the community level to ensure literacy and learning are included in discussions related to poverty reduction and healthy communities.
Some of our partners from 2014-2015 include:
• Beacon Community Services
• Community Literacy Task Groups, School Districts 61, and 63
• Community Social Planning Council of Greater Victoria
• Craigflower Elementary School
• Doing it better together – community action on poverty reduction
• George Jay Elementary
• Greater Victoria Housing Society
• GT Hiring Solutions
• Journey Middle School
• National Adult Literacy Database (NALD)
• North Saanich Middle School
• Orca Book Publishers
• Peninsula Connections for Early Childhood (PCEC)
• Rockheights Middle School
• Saanich Adult Education Centre
• School District 61 (Victoria)
• School District 62 (Sooke)
• School District 63 (Saanich)
• Tall Tale books
• Victoria Immigrant and Refugee Centre Society
• Westshore Literacy Connection