READ Society’s Vision
Everyone in society has the literacy skills to contribute to their full potential.
As a vibrant, community-based organization we help children, youth and adults gain literacy and essential skills, including reading, writing and mathematics. We respond to the emerging needs of our communities and collaborate to make literacy and essential skills accessible to all.
Our business is learning
At READ we…
• assess individual and community needs
• collaborate to effectively meet learner needs
• inform programs by using best practices
• develop literacy and essential skills programs and curriculum
• teach individuals and groups
• advocate for our students
• facilitate community awareness and understanding about literacy and essential skills
• build confidence and capability in individuals
• Literacy is essential for children, youth and adults
• Learning occurs most effectively in a safe, caring environment that honours and addresses individual learning styles and needs.
• Professional teachers are critical to the development of effective literacy and essential skills solutions.
• Volunteers are integral to the services we deliver to the community.
• Healthy organizations promote diversity, humour and creativity.
• Sound financial management and services that meet identified needs will sustain the organization.
• Relationships founded on honesty and integrity provide a foundation for effective solutions.
Respect: All individuals—students, families, donors and funders, volunteers, community partners and staff—must be treated with respect.
Collaboration: Communities are best served when diverse, committed partners engage in creating sustainable solutions.
Inclusion: We must ensure that those who experience the issue are part of the solution.
Celebration: Literacy successes should be recognized and celebrated through stories and information sharing.
Accountability: We measure results and hold ourselves accountable for the effectiveness of our work.